Thursday, November 03, 2005

Art-filled evening: Faith Ringgold & Renee Cox


I finally got around to seeing the Faith Ringgold exhibit that's currently being hosted at my university this evening. It was a good reminder of how much I love art, especially paintings. I love to see the layers of paint, the traces of the brushes' movements, and just the life brought out in something two dimensional through the use of color. For more on Rinngold, check
http://www.faithringgold.com/

Before getting to make my way through the exhibit, however, I attended a lecture by Renee Cox. One thing about Cox's work that I find particularly intriguing is her use of herself in the majority of her photography. She was a hoot as a lecturer, a real fiery person.

What I loved about both Ringgold and Cox was their absolute conviction in the politics of their art. That is, their investment that their work SAY something important about the world we live in, and make people THINK about their surroundings.

I think I've been spending too much time with so-called artists whose main goals were to entertain and appease audiences, not make statements, and certainly not offend them or make them uncomfortable. Thank goodness for the reminder that these aren't the only kinds of artists out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home