Monday, December 12, 2005

Capital Punishment is NOT the Answer

I was stunned late last night when I was on the phone with a friend who told me about Stanley "Tookie" Williams' scheduled execution this evening. Sadly, I was stunned not because someone was scheduled to be executed; rather, it was because of my own ignorance about the recent prevalence of scheduled executions.

In my own area, (unfortunately) just last week Maryland executed Wesley E. Baker, and the week before that (thankfully) Virginia governor, Mark Warner, granted clemency to Robin Lovitt.

I'm not sure what more I can say at this moment except that I'm terribly disappointed to be living in a country where capital punishment continues to be legal in the face of indisputable racism pervasive in our society, including, but by no means limited to our criminal "justice" system, our formal political system, and our education system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home