Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Taking My Last Drag

I'm not proud to admit it, but I've been an occassional smoker for the past decade. Before that, I grew up in a household where my father and brother smoked inside. Ironically, I only started smoking after I left my childhood home.

More to the point, I started smoking after I had started to come out as a lesbian, primarily as a way to socialize with other dykes. Years later I then learned to turn to smoking as a stress-reliever, from school work, my various service industry part-time jobs, and personal problems (read: dyke drama).

A pack usually lasts me a couple of weeks, and it's not uncommon to go several days without smoking anything at all. I definitely feel better when I don't smoke, and notice unpleasant side-effects from smoking (additional phlegm, mostly--I know, a little tmi). But, once again I've decided to try and quit.



I want to quit because I know it's better for my health. (I've finally gotten health insurance and so now that I can semi-afford to go to the doctor, I feel the urge to take better care of myself.)

I want to quit because I could put the money spent on cigarettes to better use. (I want to be able to indulge in new books and music--something to expand my mind instead of rot my lungs.)

I want to quit because I don't want to depend on cigarettes to be social. (I'm pretty shy and introverted, so I could use all the help I can get, but I'm realizing that being a smoking wall flower isn't all that helpful.)

I want to quit because about 56% of lesbians are current or former smokers compared with 36% of women in general. And, a 1999 house-hold based survey found that 48.5% of gay and bisexual men reported smoking. The national average for straight men is 28.6%. (Now, I wouldn't normally choose to compare myself to "women in general" or "average straight men" but the message is clear--a disproportionate percentage of queers are smokers. I want to go against the odds and join the non-smoking queer population.)

I want to quit because I'm not willing to date a smoker, and I don't think anybody should be willing to date me if I'm a smoker. (Currently I'm single.)

I want to quit because I know better than to be lured by slick advertising campaigns. (In fact, part of what I teach is about critically reading advertisements. I want to be a respected teacher, and so I want to walk my talk and take action to stop smoking.)

I want to quit because things do smell and taste better to non-smokers!!!

Some resources for lgbt folks who similarly want to lead a tabacoo-free life:
http://www.gaysmokeout.net/index.html
http://www.ciggybuttz.com/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home