Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Hornby's Polysyllabic Spree is yet another book I read over my winter break. Definitely not as moving as Translating New Brown, but the concept of the book ("a hilarious and true account of one man's struggle with the monthly tide of the books he's bought and the books he's been meaning to read") was intriguing enough to catch this reader's attention.

What I think is notable enough to quote:

"Most decent people can't sleep easily at night, and that, apparently, is precisely why the world is in such a mess" (35). (Something for all the insomniacs in my life.)

"all the books we own, both read and unread, are the fullest expression of self we have at our disposal" (125). (Just the thing I need to justify my mass of books!)

"To lie to someone is to insult them, and the liar is diminished in the eyes of the person he lies to" (138). (Truth is, after all, one of the pillars of peace.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home