Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Body, Spirit, Mind

In junior high (probably 7th grade) Health Class, I learned about the health triangle. According to my teacher, Ms. Stubbs, the triangle's sides were body, spirit, and mind (or maybe they were physical, mental, emotional). (I definitely still remember the construction paper triangle she had posted on the wall, each side bearing one of the above titles.) She said about this triangle that each element was in relationship and balance to the other two, so that if you were feeling low in spirit, it would do you good to try and raise your body and mind; or perhaps, if your body was feeling ill, it would do you good to turn to sprit and mind. Okay, so I'm definitely not doing this whole health triangle justice in my explanation, but I think the concept is clear...

In any case, ever since my recent excursions to my campus' gym (known officially as Campus Recreation Services) I've been reminded of the health triangle. For instance today's intro to lgbt studies class didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked, and I just felt down and disappointed afterwards (despite having a meeting with a student from my feminist theory class that went really well). It was 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and the thought crossed my mind to just leave campus and try to beat rush hour traffic home. Instead, though, I decided to follow through with my plans to go to the gym and work out. I'm glad I did.

Okay, so at first things weren't looking good. I don't know why, but for some reason the machine I usually use I didn't know how to operate all of a sudden. In part, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the other people working out--I always feel a little strange, as if being seen by students as I work out will just be the most horrible thing. In fact, the students who I have run into take it just fine. (I think I may even seem just a little cooler because I'm not afraid to sweat. Okay, so maybe this is my over-active Leo imagination, but who cares? Imagination and fantasy are crucial things in life, I say.)

In any case, I kept pressing "enter" instead of "start" and so couldn't get my machine to apparently "turn on." Thank goodness for a nice person in the next machine over, who after seeing me struggle leaned over slightly and pointed out exactly what I was doing wrong. There are nice people in the world! I quickly settled in, and I tell you, after an hour on that bike, listening to good music and re-reading one of my favorite lesbian mystery novels (Kate Allen's
Tell Me What You Like) I defintely didn't feel as bogged down by my disappointing class discussion as I did earlier.

Now if I could just figure out what makes me a more productive (dissertation) writer! Oh well, one step at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home