Friday, February 03, 2006

Wishing the Extra-Ordinary Wasn't So

It's been a busy week. Partly because I'm still adjusting to my new teaching schedule, complete with having to deal with handfuls of new students joining the class in the second week.

I was also out late on Wednesday (Feb 1) for the monthly drag king show. I can't believe next month's show will commemorate the 6th year anniversary of the monthly show happening in this one nightclub. Yes, it is quite an achievement. Still, I have to say, six years later, and I wonder how things have (not) changed.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit jaded--I mean I've been going to these shows for the past six years (not all 71 mind you, but definitely a good share of them).

I want to write a long(er) post on drag kings and community, but I'm not feeling up to it right now, so more on that later.

For right now, though, I just wanted to say, I wish sometimes the extra-ordinary wasn't so. One of the performances at this month's show was by RoKETT:



RoKETT, Washington, DC
RoKETT has been performing since October 2004 with the DC Kings and has been going strong ever since. They are known for their moves and singing, but this year on the Great Big Stage you will see Rocky, Kuryosity, E-Cleff, Thatway, and Taz Majik bring you back to the good ol days with a little hip hop flavor. This group appeals to all types of ladies, and we guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Along with appealing to the ladies, RoKETT hopes to appeal to more diverse audiences in the DC area.

What is your flavor?
Rocky, The Thug.
Kuryosity, The Nasty One.
E-Cleff, The Pretty Boy.
Thatway, The Gay Boy. Or
Taz Majik, The Smooth Daddy.

Check RoKETT out at:
DC Kings Bio Page
Great Big 5 Bio Page


One of the reasons I really enjoy RoKETT's performances is that it's amazing to see a GROUP of kings working together. Even though the DC drag king scene has often touted its lack of competitions, stressing instead their support of one another, this has interestingly led to very few groups steadily performing together. (There are a decent number of pairs of performers, though. And, of course, for the big annual drag shows--the Showcase at IDKE, and the Great Big--group numbers are much more prevalent).

Aside from RoKETT's noteworthiness because of the high level of their group choreography and costuming, though, they also make quite an impression as an ALL AFRICAN-AMERICAN group. While I definitely think it's an important feature of RoKETT to mention, I also can't help but feel saddened by it. I guess I just wish they weren't so extra-ordinary because of their racial make-up--because being so is evidence of the limits of the "diversity" of the drag community. Then again, exposing these limits is a great thing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home