Sunday, March 19, 2006

Hard Love

When I read Ellen Wittlinger's book, Hard Love, there was something about the following that struck a chord with me...



Since then it's been tucked away in a journal, with some other notes on "love" that I've collected over time...

"The desire for her. I knew if I gave into it, I'd have to surrender myself completely. I'd lose all control. Everything I knew, everything I was, the walls I'd built up to protect myself all these years would come crashing down. I might get lost in the rubble." (Julie Anne Peters, Keeping You a Secret, 127)

"a big part of that magic was that no matter how much of ourselves we found to give each other, there was always more we wanted to give." (Nancy Garden, Annie on My Mind, 108)

"'It's not true, you know.' I tell her, throwing another knob of coal on the flames. 'The more you give away, the more you've given away.'" (Emma Donoghue, Hood, 208)


These quotations all touched a truth with me at one time or another; and, there are certainly parts of them that still resonate with me today.

Love has many truths...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home