Monday, March 06, 2006

Parae, Dyspecific, and Wood (or Kate Bornstein Take 2)

On my latest trip to CA, I spent my Friday night going to see some live Queer Rock bands. More specifically, on the bill were Parae, Dyspecific, and Wood.

Kate Bornstein was supposed to start the show with a reading, but apparently something amiss happened with travel arrangments, because Bornstein was a no-show. Maybe when I try to go see ze in April, the third time will be the charm!

In any case, not having heard any of the three bands before, I couldn't quite get into it the same way that I can when the music is familar to me. What I could get into, though, was the passion these performers and musicians had. In addition, it was another great example of community coming together. Not only were various members of the several bands connected in meaningful, bonding ways, but so many in the audicence were also tied to various performers. People were clearly there not just to hear good music and watch a fun show, but also (perhaps more importantly) to show up in support of their friends and sustain community connections. It's something I see a lot of in CA, and have seen on occassion here in DC, but not nearly to the same extent...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home