Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Seasons

Just the other day, I was talking with a friend about her preference for Maryland over where she grew up, and she cited (among other things) liking the fact that there were seasons here.

It definitely made me stop and think, and take a moment to appreciate the ways in which the metro DC area does have lots of things to offer that I don't/can't get in CA.

I can still remember my first Fall in the area, captivated by the colors of the changing leaves. I used to ride the metro from Alexandria, VA to College Park, MD picking out my favorite-colored trees every time the train was above ground; of course, there was also endless crunching through the leaves trying to find the crispiest of the bunch, not to mention the myriad leaves I'd collect and press in my various journals. (I actually still do all these things, well, besides ride the metro to school!)

Weather conditions (or should I say global warming conditions) haven't allowed for the leaves to turn colors to their full extent these past couple of seasons, though. Hopefully this Fall will prove otherwise.

In the mean time, even though I can't believe how quickly February has gone by, I'm enjoying the thought that just around this month's corner is spring break, the end of daylight savings, and maybe, just maybe...even Spring. This Spring what I want to do most is go see the Cherry Blossoms when they're in bloom and ride around the basin in a paddle boat. I know, kind of geeky...but precious, too, right? ;)

The sun's shining bright today, and it's definitely put me in a good mood, regardless of the 43 degree temperature. We're also starting our two week-long section of Gloria Anzaldua's Borderlands/La Frontera in my Feminist Theories course today. That's just icing on top!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home