Sunday, March 05, 2006

Transamerica (or Kate Bornstein Take 1)

In mid-February, I was going to try to see Kate Bornstein's performance of "Queer and Pleasant Danger" at Towson University.

Actually, when I first heard about ze being at Towson, I hadn't made plans to see ze, partly because I had seen Bornstein several years ago at my own university--not a performance, but a sit-down talk and Q & A. But, also, I didn't feel like making the trek up to Towson alone. When I found someone who was interested in going, I jumped at the chance--not only to see Bornstein, but to have the opportunity to better get to know this woman who was interested in Bornstein.

I was crushed to find out that Bornstein's performances had been rescheduled for April 6 and April 7 because I thought I would miss out on both Bornstein and hanging out with a new person.

As it turns out, she was game to see Transamerica instead. It was just my luck, too, because then I got to finally go to E Street Cinema, which I've known is a theater that shows a lot of independent and LGBT films, but just never took advantage of the opportunities.

I'm embarrassed to admit it now, but originally, Transamerica wasn't on my must-see-in-the-theater list. I was feeling a little burned out on MTF stories. (I think it must be from watching too much late night (Discovery?) cable shows when I can't sleep.) It wasn't until my faculty advisor was raving about it that my interests in Transamerica were renewed.

I'm so glad that things turned out the way they did. If the Bornstein event hadn't been re-scheduled, I might not have seen Transamerica in a theater. It struck me at the core as a road trip movie, which I hadn't actually anticipated. After just having driven across the country for the first time last June, it was a theme that resonated with me. In fact, it made me miss the road...the rhythm, the sights, enjoying the journey.

I think I need to find a place I can take a quick road trip to from DC...it's been too long since I've just gotten away for a day road trip. It's definitely NOT like being in CA, taking a day or two to go from Irvine to San Francisco, or San Francisco to LA, etc. Hmm...the Keith Haring exhibit will be in Reading thru August...which sounds like a perfect getaway--not only do I get to enjoy being on the road, but then there's Haring once I get there!

In addition to being a road movie, Transamerica was also a really touching parent-child story without being overly sentimental, yet still maintaining tenderness. Besides, Felicity Huffman was just terrific! (I got the chance to see Walk the Line on my recent plane trip, and as much as I like Reese Witherspoon, I hope Huffman takes best actress tonight.)

I'm kind of sad, actually, that Brokeback Mountain was getting so much news attention that it ended up overshadowing Transamerica in mainstream and LGBT press. Don't get me wrong, I wish Ang Lee the best tonight, too. I just wish that Brokeback Mountain's position in the mainstream didn't overshadow our communities' attentions to those things on the (independent/outlaw) margins, like Transamerica. (Then again, I'm a Queer API immigrant, it's no wonder I'm sensitive about things on the margins being ignored! :) I certainly don't want to just move the margin to the center. Relocation without transformation, why bother?)

Hmmm...I just realized that I never did get to really talk about the movie with the person I went with. Maybe we'll get to it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home