Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Be Thermostats NOT Thermometers

As I've said in an earlier post about my visit to Atlanta, one of the places I visited was The Martin Luther King, Jr. Center For Nonviolent Social Change, Inc. (The King Center)

Wanting to exercise my class privilege for the good of The King Center, I visited the Gift Shop/Book Store. All around the King Center, the powerful words of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. were present, through his own voice as tapes of his speeches played, but also as words on pages--tangible, explicit, bold... The Book Store offered an array of books, videos, posters, and postcards featuring these words.

One of the postcards that I was drawn to was this one:



I hadn't ever heard this quotation before, but its emphasis on ACTIVE TRANSFORMATION instead of PASSIVE WITNESSING is one I want to take to heart.

Thermostats NOT Thermometers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home