Sunday, April 02, 2006

Boy meets Boy

I took some time this week to revisit David Levithan's novel Boy Meets Boy, and found it just as touching as when I first read it.

I couldn't tell you any one thing, though, that draws me so strongly to this story...mostly because it's not just one thing, but so many things.

The main character, Paul, is likable enough, and I love that Levithan surrounds him with so many people--friends of all sorts. It's these relationships, these friendships with all their dramas, annoyances, loves, and loyalties that make the cast of characters as a whole a great ensemble.

(I'm reminded of The Brat Pack. While I certainly enjoyed St. Elmo's Fire, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty in Pink, it's the non-brat pack movie Some Kind of Wonderful that I claim among my favorites.)

Of course, my heart strings get pulled watching the relationship between Paul and Noah unfold and develop.

"Noah. The Boy. The one who changes everything" (from the back cover).

Half the time I want to meet a Noah of my own, while the other half I want to be Noah...I want to find someone who wants to paint music together...

Then there's Paul's relationship with Kyle, his ex-boyfriend. The strength of care, concern, and love between the two of them after their break up as they try to find a ground of friendship to stand on feels like a roller coaster at times, but one who's twists, turns, highs, and falls are so familiar that they're at once terrifying and comforting.

Ahh...but we must also mention Tony here, who's love for friends and family goes beyond any metaphor of depth could adequately depict...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home