Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Leslie Feinberg - San Diego to College Park

Just a week ago on March 28 Leslie Feinberg was speaking at my former school, San Diego State University, as a guest brought by my former Women's Studies department.

Here's a brief report of Feinberg's talk at SDSU.

Dr. Pat Washington's situation at SDSU has always been a difficult one for me to negotiate. I haven't (yet) ever said anything publicly about my views of the situation--largely due to fears of the consequences of taking such action. On this point, I'm disappointed in myself and the silence I keep...and I only hope that Pat and others can forgive me someday.

I will say, however, that during my time in the Master's Program at SDSU, Dr. Pat Washington, along with other Women's Studies faculty, fellow graduate students, undergraduate classmates, and other friends were very positively influential in my development as a scholar and person. I look back at my time at SDSU with much nostalgia, while simultaneously not forgetting all the trials and tribulations I faced there, too.

In any case, Leslie Feinberg, this week--TODAY--is coming to my current campus, the University of Maryland. I'm really excited to hear hir talk, and only hope that ze's not overshadowed by our women's basketball team's appearance in their first ever National Championship game.

I'm so excited for our basketball team--they've worked hard and gotten themselves into the NCAA finals. (A bunch of us graduate students in WMST are especially pulling for them, having had a bunch of the players as students. Go TERPS!) Whatever the score is at the end of tonight's game against Duke, I hope they see themselves as the winners they already are.

I can't think of a better evening...first Feinberg, and then the NCAA finals!

1 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Blogger Gladys said...

hey, i just heard about the women's ncaa finals! congrats to umd!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home