Friday, June 23, 2006

Maybe I’m not just different. Maybe I’m strange

“Maybe I’m not just different. Maybe I’m strange.” (Feinberg Drag King Dreams 119)

I’ve been in the SF Bay Area for a little more than a week, but I’ve been looking forward to getting back to Washington, D.C. almost as long.

It feels really strange to say that, but it’s also really true. Strange mostly because when I’m out east, all I talk about is getting back to California. Then again, it’s not like I’m really back, I’m just visiting…living out of suitcases, sleeping on a strange bed, and not cooking in my own kitchen are all proof of that. I’m staying in the house I grew up in, but it’s definitely no longer where I belong (if I ever did belong in the first place). I must say, though, that I have been lucky that it’s a place where I have nevertheless always been welcomed.

I guess I should focus on the good…

Re-affirmed a few old connections with others at the conference my first weekend, and made a couple of new ones. Spent some really great time with an old, dear friend. Re-connected with another old friend. Spent some quality time with the ‘rents and even the live-in nephews and niece. Obtained some new-to-me, hand-me-down electronics from my brother. Saw the Pacific Ocean. Sat out under a sunny California sun.

Instead, I can’t help but think about more disappointing aspects…really, just the one aspect of not spending any time with the one friend I was expecting it with…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home