Monday, July 31, 2006

Being better brothers and sisters

Really, I mean to post about the most recent liturgy from my Dignity service, but before I do that, I wanted to give quick props to last week's liturgy as well.

The Readings for Mass on July 23 were as follows:
First Reading: Jeremiah 23:1-16
Responsorial Psalm: Psalms 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
Second Reading: Ephesians 2:13-18
Gospel: Mark 6:30-34

From these readings, the priest tried to impart to us the importance of truly treating each other like brothers and sisters (in the ideal sense of loving relations that ultimately work together for the good of all). The message was clear--we need to treat each other gently and with love. During the liturgy the Father was explicit in his concern about the war between Israel and the Hezbollah militia in Lebanon, and the growing number of deaths, both military and civilian, on both sides. He prayed that in being better brothers and sisters to one another, we could end this war, and others such like it, as well as prevent any others in the future. Realistic or not, it's a nice thought and one I will continue to pray for.

On a more personal level, I took the message to be a better brother/sister with me to work. One of my co-workers has been especially frustrating lately, and rather than continue to hold onto that frustration, anger, and hurt, I went into work on Tuesday determined to be a better sibling.

I'm glad I did...approaching my co-worker, n., with gentleness proved so much more effective than the disgruntled brooding I had been practicing. Next week will mark the one year anniversary of her mother's death (after years of battling cancer), and so she's been quite understandably off kilter lately. At the one year anniversary they'll be spreading her mother's ashes...

I've been working with n. for nearly four years now, and saw over those years just how must she had to shoulder as the oldest child--caring not only for her ailing mother, but also for her two younger brothers (one who just graduated high school, and the youngest who just started kindergarten). Hers is definitely not a position I envy, nor, to be completely truthful, one I'm sure I could have handled. At 20 years old, she's seen a lot in life, and yet still has so much growing and learning to do, too.

In any case, letting go of my anger allowed us to talk about all these things (and more), and to reach a better place where I could be a friend. I, too, have seen a lot in my (now almost 31) years, but still have much to learn. I'm thankful I had this opportunity to grow that much more. I just hope in the future I will remember from the start to be a better person to my fellow people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home