Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Queer Migrations

Just wanted to give quick props to the book Queer Migrations

Luibheid, Eithne and Lionel Cantu, Jr., eds. Queer Migrations: Sexuality, U.S. Citizenship, and Border Crossings. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2005.

see especially:
Cantu, Lionel J. with Eithne Luibheid and Alexandra Minna Stern. "Well-Founded Fear: Political Asylum and the Boundaries of Sexual Identity in the U.S.-Mexico Borderlands"

Manalansan, Martin F, IV. "Migrancy, Modernity, Mobility: Quotidian Struggles and Queer Diasporic Intimacy"

Randazzo, Timothy J. "Social and Legal Barriers: Sexual Orientation and Asylum in the United States"

Somerville, Siobhan B. "Sexual Aliens and the Racialized State: A Queer Reading of the 1952 U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act"

It's one of the few books that I've read that I feel really speaks to me and what I want my own work to do. It's been so refreshing and pricelessly reassuring to see such queer scholarship that looks at migration and citizenship, and that looks at queers of color from Mexico, Cuba, El Salvador, and the Philippines.

Thank goodness that I was able to get it through interlibrary loan (ILL) since my own university library doesn't own it! (Then again, they don't seem to own much of what I want and think will be useful for my disseration, and of late haven't even been able to provide me copies of texts even through ILL) :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home