Sunday, August 13, 2006

Regular but Painful Life Transitions

I could tell the pants hadn’t come to our lives because of tragedy. They’d just witnessed one of those regular but painful life transitions. That, it turns out, is The Way of the Pants. (Ann Brashares, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2)

Regular but painful life transitions...not only The Way of the Pants, but The Way of some much in life, really.

Since my youngest childhood memories, I have resisted change and transitions. Regardless of size I’ve always been terrified by changes, from the supposedly small changes my mother wreaked upon me when she would re-arrange the furniture while I was at school, to the larger change I was supposed to undergo when I was is the sixth grade and we packed up most of our possessions and had them shipped back to the Philippines where we were scheduled to join them shortly.

Some revel in the adventure of new things, but I’ve always taken refuge in routine and what’s familiar...better the devil you know than the one you don’t?

Perhaps I’m finally growing out of this longtime held fear, or at least finally facing it...

This summer seems to be full of transitions...friendships coming and going; some family ties weakening, others strengthening; new and old work environments...

I’m especially saddened by the departure of my current Starbucks manager. We’ve been working together for the last couple of years, and he’s someone I have grown to respect and absolutely enjoy working for and with. He always managed to encourage us to fulfill and, more so, exceed expectations while still fostering a fun work environment. What’s sad for those of us left behind, however, is good for him. He’s moving on to bigger (and hopefully better) things, professionally and personally. I wish all the best things for him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home