Thursday, January 11, 2007

Mobilized

I recently learned that one of my regular Starbucks costumers is on her way out of town--she's being "mobilized." That is, she's being called upon to fulfill her reservist duties.

She doesn't seem at all resentful, despite being given less than one month's notice to settle her affairs and get herself organized enough to leave her current employment, residence, and community in order to report for duty. She definitely understands that such a mobilization is part and parcel of being a reservist.

I remember having to make similar goodbyes years ago when the U.S. first attacked Iraq. Goodbyes are never easy.

I was disheartened to hear of Bush's announcement to send even more troops to Iraq, but glad to hear (finally) vocal opposition.

Still, I can't wait for the day when I'll get to welcome back some of my regulars who have gone away to serve...but that day can't come soon enough.

In the mean time, I hope that I don't see them first in the "Faces of the Dead in Iraq", there are already too many faces there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home