Thursday, February 15, 2007

Metropolitan Community Church, DC

I made my first visit to the Metropolitan Community Church of Washington, DC (MCCDC) when I attended Midnight Mass there. It had been a long time since I went to a Midnight Mass instead of a Christmas Day Mass, but friends of mine were planning to go, and I thought it'd be nice to celebrate together.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't go to a mass that wasn't a Catholic one, but given MCC's track record of special ministry to lesbians, gay men, bisexual, and transgender people, I made an exception. Besides, this MCC is my friends' church, and so that too was an incentive.

Midnight Mass was beautiful--the choirs' singing was amazing, the lights in the church sparkled like stars, and, of course, if felt great to be worshipping among others.

Since then, I've paid a couple of other visits to MCCDC. These weren't on special occassions, but rather additional opportunities to worship with friends. Last week, though, after two weeks of going to MCC and not having gone to my regular Dignity services, I finally made it back to St. Margaret's and a Dignity Mass. And, I have to say, while MCC's service is lovely in so many ways, there's something about a Catholic mass that puts me at ease and makes me feel at home.

More later, though, on MCCDC--it may not be exactly right for me, but it could be for others, and is definitely worth checking out at least once! (Besides, I still plan on going on occassion.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home