Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sharing is Caring

Despite the amount of clothing that I’ve collected from exes over the years, it’s never really been the case that I’ve actually shared the clothing with them. Really, it was more like they had clothing that they were going to get rid of that I thought was still perfectly acceptable and wearable, and I “rescued” said clothing.

I’m a total pack rat like that…(complete with a drawer at home for “to go” packets of ketchup and soy sauce, and of course the extra napkins one so often acquires from eating establishments everywhere).

Saving does have it’s merits (especially when it comes to saving money), but it certainly isn’t the same as sharing.

Recently, I’ve been thinking about how generous my friends are, and all that they’ve shared with me…

I thought that the least I could do was to give their shares more life here, and do some of my own.

Funny thing, sitting here trying to organize my thoughts, three clear categories of shares comes to mind: food, books, and music. I guess it shouldn’t be so surprising considering that these are central things in many friendships/relationships.

Food
Weekend Brunch Spots: Busboys & Poets (14th & V Sts., NW DC), Luna (17th & P Sts., NW DC), Polly’s Café (U St. btw 13th & 14th Sts., NW DC)

Coffeehouses suitable for studying: Busboys & Poets (14th & V Sts., NW), Mayorga Coffee and Roasters (Silver Spring, MD), Modern Times Café at Politics and Prose (5015 Connecticut Ave., NW DC), Mocha Hut (U St. btw 12th & 13th Sts. NW DC)

Vegetarian Friendly Dining: Mandalay Restaurant (Burmese cuisine, 930 Bonifant St. Silver Spring, MD), Jyoti Indian Restaurant (Connecticut & 24th Sts., NW DC), Java Green (M & 19th Sts., NW DC), Luna (17th & P Sts., NW DC), Pho Hot (Rte. 7, VA)

Books
Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger
Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
Empress of the World by Sara Ryan
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I Am Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell

Music
Carbon Leaf
The Killers
Edie Carey
Melissa Ferrick
Modest Mouse
Keane
Jack Johnson
Adrianne
Julie Loyd
Laura Tsgarris
http://www.pandora.com

Okay, so most of these things are things that were shared with me, that I then shared with others…but that counts, too, doesn’t it?

Some shares of my own:

Brianna Lane (music)
Kinky Boots (movie)
Big Eden (movie)
Realm of Possibility by David Levithan
Trace Elements of Random Tea Parties by Felicia Luna Lemus
44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith
Thai Peppers (Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray, Alexandria, VA)

Looking forward to more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home