Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Art of Questions

It’s certainly not the “art of war,” but there is certainly a degree of strategy and maneuvering when it comes to asking questions.

In my “Introduction to LGBT Studies” course, one of the graded assignments I require of students is to pose a series of discussion questions based on our class texts. On the most practical level, this assignment is useful in gauging whether or not students are doing the readings. But, while they’re not always convinced of such, my main aim in giving this assignment is to emphasize to students that the questions we ask of what we study are just as important (if not more so) than the answers that we try and seek.

Questions can be powerful.

I’ve found myself asking lots of questions lately. Hopefully those I’ve been questioning haven’t felt that I’ve been doing so belligerently, although I wouldn’t be surprised if they did feel a little badgered!

Interestingly, I think I’m beginning to see that the questions I pose to others are both the ones I want posed to myself, and the means through which I try and share myself with others.

I have been asked two very good questions lately, though, which definitely deserve blog posts of their own. More on this soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home