Thursday, July 12, 2007

Gratitude

When your life is going along nicely, when things are looking good, the correct posture to assume is one of gratitude, absent of any hint that you expect your good fortune to last.

(Savage, Dan. The Commitment. New York: Plume, 2006. 49)

Along with forgiveness, gratitude is another Christian value that I've been working to better emulate. Especially now because my life is going along very nicely right now, and things are looking very good, but hopefully always, too.

I was traveling earlier in the month and wasn't able to go to my usual service held by Dignity Washington, and then last week went to a DC Area Transmasculine Society (DCATS) meeting and missed my Dignity service once again. I did, however, get to the 9am Metropolitan Community Church service in DC, where I pleasantly ran into a couple of folks who made me feel welcomed and part of the community.

Clearly, forgivenss and gratitude are not Christian values exclusively, and going to church certainly isn't necessary to practice forgiveness and gratitude; Catholicism, however, is precisely the way in which I have been moving towards them both. It's been a great journey so far...

Thanks to Savage for reminding me of the importance of gratitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home