Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Being seen by others

What I really felt like was a man and what I really wanted was for others to see me as one.

(Jamison Green, Becoming a Visible Man, 21)

This quotation makes it seem as if transitioning ensures that others will see us as we want to be seen--or at least brings us the greatest potential for that. I don't doubt that many transpeople feel this way. I also know that I feel that getting others to see me as I'd like to be seen, not only in terms of gender, but also sexuality, race, age, etc. requires much more than just hormonal and surgical transitioning.

I need society to recognize, acknowledge, and change its oppressive ways--to eradicate sexism, heterosexism, racism, classism, ageism, xenophobia, transphobia, and ALL other forms of oppression.

Until then, I doubt that even as a post-op transsexual brown immigrant man I'll have the kind of peace and satisfaction that so many white transmen write of as a result of transitioning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home