Monday, October 22, 2007

Alex Sanchez in person!



Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to see Alex Sanchez in person at the Dupont Circle location of Lambda Rising as he toured to promote his most recent book, The God Box.

I’ve been a fan of Sanchez’s since I read Rainbow Boys, and only grew to like his writing more when So Hard to Say was published and I got to read a young adult novel not centered on white teens that also had gay characters.

When I saw that Sanchez’s latest novel once again tackled intersections so often overlooked—-youth, sexuality, race, and religion—-my admiration for him as an author grew.

Seeing him in person exceeded my expectations.

Over the years, I’ve seen a handful of authors reading at Lambda Rising. Usually, I’m quite intimidated by authors...I am generally shy anyway, but coming face to face with an author you only know through words on a page makes for all kinds of shy and awkward on my part.

Sanchez’s demeanor was quiet and yet also strong, and he had an uncanny ability of making eye contact in a way that left me feeling genuinely welcome. He began by talking about the some of the letters he received from gay teens after the Rainbow books were published, thanking him for his novels and for letting them know they weren’t alone. Then he read the first chapter and opened up the floor for a question and answer period.

During the Q & A Sanchez talked with some detail about his writing process. What he had to say put me at ease about my own (dissertation) writing in a way dissertation writing workshops I’ve attended at my university never have. I felt peaceful, confident, and driven to write.

After the Q & A, he took his position in front of a long line to begin signing books. It was amazing to stand in line and eavesdrop on those ahead of me, sharing themselves with Sanchez as a way to reciprocate all that he had given them through his novel. I, of course, tried to do the same when my turn came, hoping that I was able to convey to him how much his writing has touched me, and helped me to continue on my own journey to touch others. He was kind and gentle in the way he accepted our stories as thanks for telling his, and full of grace as he tackled the task of personalizing our books.

It was great! Thanks Alex!!!

(more on The God Box later)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home