Monday, October 15, 2007

Compliments

I was watching the "Reunion" episode of Top Chef this past weekend when I was struck by Howie's crying. He said that it's one thing to face the criticisms of others, but that what was really hard was to accept the compliments of others. Too true.

In the vein of trying to learn that it's okay to be loved, and to have others let you know they love you, I wanted to follow Howie's lead and share some touching compliments that I've been given, as well as given to others..

(in no particular order)

You're beautiful (beauty may only be skin deep, but its verbal acknowledgment goes deeper to touch the beauty of spirit and soul)

You're a true and loyal friend (being someone's "person" is a privilege beyond measure)

You're honest (because I've had enough lies and secrets)

You have passion and practicality (the best of both dreaming and living in the material world)

You captivate me (the sexiest compliment I've gotten)

You give good hugs (because physically intimate connections are necessary and precious)


(Having done this reminds me of the obituary written for John Cusack's character in Serendipity, and of the W.H. Auden poem "Stop All the Clocks" that's offered as the obituary in Four Weddings and a Funeral. May we all be fortunate enough to give and get such compliments while we're still alive!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home