Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Opposites

But I always heard opposites attract.
Yeah...But similars stay together.

(146) Rainbow Road Alex Sanchez

I wonder if anyone of us really knows “our type.” The kind of people I’ve almost always said that I was attracted to, by far, have NOT been the people that I’ve actually dated. Is this because I haven’t actually acknowledged all that I’m attracted to, that I’ve denied my “true” feelings? Or perhaps because I’ve waited to see who shows interest in me rather than initiating my own pursuits? Or because I’ve been too quick to form bonds and get attached to people based on the merit of what they have to offer, and not necessarily strictly based on my preconceived ideals? Maybe it’s all these things, and more.

In the end, I have no idea that actually finding the kind of people you believed you are attracted to even ensures a lasting relationship!

Promises and vows can be made, but they alone do not guarantee a relationship’s longevity. (Not that such longevity is a necessary common goal of all relationships everywhere.)

Most often times I’ve found that it’s the things I wasn’t looking for, the people I hadn’t anticipated meeting and getting to know, that often enrich my life most. This doesn’t mean, of course, that I’ve ceased my search to find out the ins and outs of how love works, only that I’ve met my share of frustration in that quest!

In my experiences, lack of sufficient similarities over time has led to break-ups. I guess the questions, then, are: What counts as a similarity? and How do you measure sufficiency?


Sometimes I forget that the answers aren’t as simple as they appear, and that objects can be closer than they appear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home