Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My quest for Windows Movie Maker (some things are easy, some are not)

I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos lately--mostly of other transguys. It's been particularly great hearing their stories and experiences of transition.

While I doubt I'll be making my own video any time soon, I did want to have the ability to do so. Already armed with a webcam and microphone, all I needed was the software.

Easier said than done.

It took me ages to figure out what software would actually help to me "capture" video from my hardware. Then, it took even longer to try and find software that I could download for free that wasn't on some limited time trial. I finally settled on Microsoft Windows Movie Maker.

But then I spent more time than I should have today trying to find where I could download Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker for Windows XP. I thought I could get it directly from Microsoft! However, while they do offer a bunch of Windows Media Downloads, including creative packs that work with Windows Movie Maker, the only version of Movie Maker itself they have available (that I could find) was the Windows Vista version.

Finally, I found Windows Movie Maker 2 available through Download.com Just wanted to post about it here in case others were searching too--in the hopes that this would give them a good chance of finding their way to it faster than I did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home