Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Celebrating Keith Haring

This past May 4th would have been the 50th birthday of Keith Haring, if he were still living today.



I can't even begin to imagine the art that he might have produced, and the other work he might have done, if his life hadn't been cut so short by AIDS.

In addition to the party, and other AIDS fundraisers, held to celebrate his life, the Skarstedt Gallery in NYC is having an exhibit (until June 28) of a collection of his works.

I was SO disappointed that on my most recent trip to NYC over Memorial Day weekend, the gallery was closed! I had it all planned out: traveled into Manhattan from Brooklyn, started the day off with breakfast/brunch, only to come upon the closed door of the gallery. There was nothing on the gallery's website OR their voicemail OR their door to even indicate that they were taking the long-weekend off. :(

So instead, later that day I headed to SOHO to see the mural recreated at Houston and Bowery by The Keith Haring Foundation, in cooperation with Deitch Projects and Goldman Properties.



It was definitely cool to see the mural, even if it was a recreation. Besides, one of the things that I love about Haring was his philosophy that art should be for everyone--accessible to everyone in every way, including through such reproductions. (Still, I can't wait for the next time there's a Haring exhibit I can get to!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home