Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Yay for DignityUSA

In the email just the other day, I received the recent edition of QV: Quarterly Voice of DignityUSA (gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Catholics), which to my pleasant surprise is the Transgender Issue.

It begins with an introduction by Publications Committee Chair, Leo Egashira, that points out not only the Church's ignorance of transpeople, but DignityUSA's lack of trans knowledges, too. Egashira then goes on to thank those who shared their stories, and ends by urging us all "to ensure that the "T" component of GLBT remains high in our consciousness and accorded its rightful place in our mission."

I, too, thank the people who contributed their personal stories so that the larger community might begin to learn about and understand those of us in Dignity who are trans-identified. It is, certainly, however, simply an "Introduction to Transgender Lives" as Egashira's essay titles reflects. Still, I'm glad for the expose of trans issues to all Dignity members it provides.

It makes think about the story I could tell. (And, all the on-line resources I'd add to their list!)

I don't think that's either a carrot or a stick, but definitely something I'm putting on my "After I'm done with the Dissertation" list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home