Friday, August 27, 2010

Books, Libraries, and Bookstores

In his Sunday, August 15, 2010 Washington Post article, "As electronic readers gain popularity, what happens to the personal library?" Philip Kennicott muses about the ways in which technology is changing our lives. More specifically he writes that "the architecture of our lives is constantly changing" and considers home libraries in particular.

I love his description of just how much books represent, though I would note that his focus on unread books is a bit heavy for my taste. Sure, I have those books on my shelf which I had intended to read but probably never will. But growing up as a young queer person book were my refuge. I sought out and devoured as much as I could, and felt that much better off for having done so--fuller in spirit, in love, and ultimately in life.

This summer I finally started to let some of those books go--because, as Kennicott so rightly points out, it's only very few of us who truly have adequate space for a home library. I was able to sell some of them outright (though hardly at all for the original cost of them), I've got some of them on sale currently (with the hopes that I'll make a minimal gain, and the even bigger desire to pass them on to someone who might find as much value in them as I did once), and others I'll be giving away.

Sometimes it doesn't seem like much...seven or so boxes among so many more. But, I'm trying to remind myself that letting go of these materials things doesn't mean giving up all they meant and still mean to me.

However, when I think about the local LGBT bookstore that closed earlier this year and the local libraries that are reducing hours due to budget constraints, I can't help be sad. Sure, so much more is available on-line these days than when I went looking fifteen years ago, but I still think it's an all together different experience. Then again, I'm sure queer youth today won't even realize what I feel is missing because of all there is.

Getting older and looking back at things is such a strange experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home