Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Will Grayson, Will Grayon

Finished reading my first book of 2011, John Green and David Levithan's Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

As a fan of David Levithan, it was interesting to experience this collaboration with John Green. Having co-written an essay for a college class eons ago, I can only imagine that the process of co-writing a novel can be a difficult task, especially if the authors have different visions for the project at hand, or even different ideas of how to achieve a shared vision.

I certainly enjoyed the way in which Will Grayson, Will Grayson works it way together, as Will Grayson and the other Will Grayson's paths cross. I definitely appreciate the work Green and Levithan undertook to tell this story.

I found the following quotation from the book especially timely as I celebrate the start of a new year:
this is why we call people exes, i guess - because the paths that cross in the middle end up separating a the end. it's too easy to see an X as a cross-out. it's not, because there's no way to cross out something like that. the X is a diagram of two paths. (277)

I wanted to send holiday cards to a few exes this past year, in recognition/celebration/thanks for the time that our paths had crossed. Though those moments have passed, I felt the urge to send good thoughts and warm wishes to them now. In the end, I sent only one such card...fearing that the others wouldn't understand the appreciation I was trying to convey. But, if any of them happen to stumble across this blog, I hope they know that my sentiment of appreciation is sincere, and that I would not be where I am today without them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home