Thursday, June 09, 2011

Day 7

Day 7
7:30 a.m. dentist appointment. Going to the dentist is probably not on most folks' list of things to do during summer break, but given my impending lack of health insurance (due to said summer break) it was the perfect time. Followed by a quick trip to the dry cleaners and other errands, then back home. Staying home is also probably not on most folk's list of things to do during summer break, but I've always been a homebody. Finally finished reading Chad Millman and Shawn Coyne's The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul. ISBN 978-1-592-40576-3



As I was walking to the circulation desk to check out my library items, this book caught my eye from its place on the nearby "New Books" shelf. While I've read several autobiographies and biographies over the years, I've never really read sports non-fiction before. It presented an interesting mixture of historical story-telling and is definitely a genre I'll keep my eye on.

I'll spare giving a full review of the book--those can be found elsewhere. I will say, however, that it drew an interesting picture of a sport, a city, an industry, and a time in history that showed me things that I hadn't seen before. Like all other books, the viewpoint it offers is a partial one, though one I imagine that many Steelers fans, Pittsburghers, and sports and history buffs would gladly add to their existing frames.


Later in the day I spent some time in the kitchen, making both quiche and lasagna.

Another good summer day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home