Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Summer 2011, Days 1 - 6

I officially started my "summer break" last Thursday.

It's a break in so far as instead of working six days a week at two different jobs, I'm down to working two days a week at just one job--at least for the next two months.

Some folks think it's great to have such time off, I think they forget that it also means that I earn considerably less during these two months. So yes, it's time off, but with a price; though one I willingly pay.

Lots of folks ask me, "what will you do with all that time off?" It's a question that strikes me as strange because of the rhetoric/dream about retirement as this (ideal/idealized) period in life when after having worked for so long we are able to do things we weren't able to. Financial realities show us that this kind of retirement has not always been available to all, and continues to be so. In full awareness that I will likely work past the age of retirement (whatever that standard might be in the next thirty plus years), I'm trying to take advantage of the time I have now to do what I can.

Day 1

Went to the local public library, and did some summer closet cleaning that resulted in a trip to drop off donations to Goodwill. Made one of my favorite recipes from the Moosewood cookbook I just checked out of the library!

Day 2

Took advantage of my groupon deal for Jack's Boathouseand kayaked on the Potomac River for an hour. Visited the blood drive being held locally and tried to give, but proved too dehydrated!

Day 3
Worked.

Day 4
Worked. And, took my bike out for an afternoon ride on nearby trails (Four Mile Run and Mount Vernon Trails).

Day 5
Another trip to Georgetown, starting with a leisurely walk (while waiting until noon) and then to Jack's Boathouse for another hour paddle on the Potomac. Followed by a trip to Trader Joe's.

Day 6
A morning walk around the neighborhood, time reading one of my many library books, and much needed clean up of files on/around my desk. Oh, and catching up on blog posts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home