Sunday, March 12, 2006

More than just the Thinks you Can Think

The quality of light by which we scrutinize our lives has direct bearing upon the product while we live, and upon the changes which we hope to bring about through those lives. It is within this light that we form those ideas by which we pursue our magic and make it realized. - Audre Lorde "Poetry is Not a Luxury" (1984: 36)


While Dr. Seuss' book, Oh, the Thinks you Can Think!, still remains one of my favorite of his books, I must say that I've recently been fortunate to witness the magic of things being realized--gone from thinking to being. Lorde's quotation above encapsulates this sense as it emphasizes the importance of the "light" by which we look at our lives.

Whereas I've heard many times the cautionary tale to "be careful what you wish for because it might just come true," as well as felt the sentiment behind "if you don't say it, it's not true," it is quite novel to experience not only think the thinks I can think, but also to experience the positive ways in which saying something helps it to materialize.

More specifically, I'm thinking of my previous posts, "Breaking Bread with Others" and "Handshakes, Hugs, and Kisses", and the yearnings I felt in those posts. I have to say, I'm quite amazed at how much since those posts that I've been continuing to connect with people in the very ways I had written that I longed for.

(More on these connections later, when I'm less sleepy...)

It makes me take notice that it is not nearly enough to name something and make it thinkable (although this is VERY important) if we don't follow up and make real those thinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home